In all emergencies or disasters, you can reduce stress by being financially prepared. Being financially prepared is about more than just having money in the bank. Here are a few ideas to help you build financial resilience.
- Ensure you have adequate insurance for your home, vehicle, business and belongings. Speak to an insurance agent about your specific needs. Learn more about the type of insurance available to Albertans and what you should ask your insurance provider.
- Keep a detailed list of all property with photographs in case you need to make an insurance claim.
- Keep cash on hand as ATM/debit machines may be unavailable.
- If possible, create an emergency savings account to cover expenses during an emergency. Even $5 a month will add up over time.
- Keep receipts for all expenses incurred during an emergency or disaster.
- Know the seven steps for making a home insurance claim.